Monday, January 3, 2011

With Every Leap Forward, There's a Stumble Backward

The healing power of prayer is a priceless but most precious gift one can give to a person battling illness.  I had an extreme realization of this for about a week in December.  I was feeling like a new woman!

One Thursday evening I joined my mom and the two ladies from our local food bank where Mom used to work and the rest of us have volunteered for the last 18+ years or so on a shopping "spree" for the remaining gifts from the Sharing Tree.  I enjoyed shopping for one particular family who happened to be essentially homeless this year.  All I had to go on were the children's first names their ages (14-, 12-, and 2.5- year-olds, all girls) and the gift suggestions the mother provided.  The distribution of these gifts was set to take place the following day.  Knowing how busy this time of year is for the food bank and celebrating the fact that I was feeling so well I volunteered to come in the following day and sort all of the gifts.  With the ever-present disclaimer of "as long as I'm feeling up to it", of course.

Friday morning rolled around quite early - 0200.  Not surprising at all since I often wake up at "Lyme time" but I was certain I'd end up being completely useless before my tasks were done.  While sorting the gifts I received greetings, hugs and prayers from folks I hadn't seen in a couple of years.  Who needs energy drinks when one receives those throughout the day?  I had nearly completed the family packages I learned the last name of the homeless family I had so enjoyed shopping for the night before.  As it turns out the 2.5-year old is one of my former students and isn't 2.5 at all.  She's 14 (how's that for making one feel old?)!  So while I was sad that the youngster I spent so much time picking items out for wasn't even part of the household, I was ecstatic the the items I chose for the 14-year-old were perfect!  Paying attention to how much energy I was using throughout the day but cautiously blazing forward I ended up staying for the distribution.  The entire day was exhilarating.  Especially after having such a bad flare up a month before. 

After pushing myself the way I did, I made myself lay low for the next few days.  The memory of the previous month's flare up was still quite vivid in my mind and I don't care to EVER repeat that again.

The following Tuesday I drove myself to my LLND appointment.  Everyone there was surprised and excited at such an accomplishment.  It's always a good sign when a Lymie can drive themselves that distance.  The appointment itself was a positive one.  Since I had been doing so well she removed 3 items from my protocol - 2 of which I was to just simply finish out the current supply, the other were the Vitamin injections (I was heartbroken about not having to do that quite painful activity anymore) and added only 1 different item.  We also decided to continue with the abx injections because I was still responding to them. 

I also found a fantastic bead store just down the street from my doctor's office!  Thankfully it's a good 1.5 - 2 hours away so I won't be going there very often.

Soon after that I started to slide downhill again.  I expected it, given how much I had done but was more than a little disappointed.  For a couple of days there I thought I would soon be able to return to work.

One of my closest friends came into town for Christmas and we were able to spend a couple of hours together the day after Christmas.  If it had been anyone else in town, I probably wouldn't have kept the date.  She's one of those friends who knows all there is to know about me and still loves me.  Who gets me in ways that nobody else does.  Who allows me to be me.  Add to that the fact that we only see each other about twice a year, well NOT meeting her wasn't an option. 

I stayed incredibly mellow throughout Christmas and New Year's.  The holidays themselves stress me out, which exacerbates the symptoms.  Factor in a rather large and loud family in a small space and it just isn't a good idea for me.  Luckily I enjoy being on my own and am able to find peace & joy in the little things.

My friend (& fellow Lymie) and I continue to work on our screening of Open Eye Picture's Under Our Skin.  We've made great progress securing the location for both the screening and the follow-up discussion afterward (special thanks to both the development group and the property manager for their incredibly generous donations), the screening kit has arrived, flyers have been designed and are ready to be printed and an invitation to our previous doctors has been drafted.  We're both excited to see this come to full fruition.

I was also able to finally begin applying for disability.  It's quite silly that one must be unable to work for more than a year before being able to apply.  It's usually always denied the first time around, and for Lyme patients sometimes more.  We're praying that everything goes smoothly.

If you're looking for a way to help promote Lyme and associated diseases awareness, please visit the January Letters for Lyme site and participate by sending letters to your local lawmakers, the IDSA and anyone else who needs to know about this.  Please continue to educate yourselves.  Visit the Under Our Skin website for screenings in your area.  Request the video from Netflix (it isn't available there yet but maybe they'll move forward with the purchase of it if enough people request it), Blockbuster or your independent video rental store.  It's also available for purchase on the UOS website.  Pay attention to your body and all that doesn't seem quite right.  The sooner you realize you (or a loved one) may have an infection the better your prognosis. 

Physical strength is measured by what we can carry; spiritual by what we can bear.~ Author Unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment